The new DPs - 2 steps fowards, 2 steps back ?

Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
The new DPs - 2 steps fowards, 2 steps back ?
Feb 8, 2012

I'll start by saying this is not a thread meant to disparage Sigma new cameras, just some early thoughts from someone who is interested in the new models possibly as replacements for the 2 DPs I already have.

Is the sensor too ambitious ? By that I mean that most would have been happy with a more modest increase in resolution, say 7-8 MP. Being 15MP means that the lenses have to be really good to match how well the current DP lenses perform - ie no worries about shooting even wide open, no CAs or any other aberrations. Plus it means I'd probably have to get a new computer to process them, and I don't print large enough that I'd notice much/any improvement over something more modest in the MP department.

I realise that running 2 separate sensor lines would be expensive, but I feel Sigma would have been more sensible putting out something like a 7-8MP sensor in the SD1. If nothing else it would have been cheaper from the start and not produced such a lot of ill feeling from even some of their most devoted fans - DSG springs to mind

Battery life - I hope Sigma have done something to improve this as my DPs are not great for this. I can only imagine having to push many more electrons round will not make things any better in the new cameras.

Design - moving the lens to the left hand side means I'll find it harder to find a grip that enables me to shoot hand held steadily enough. Stability is going to be even more of an issue with the extra resolution - any small camera movement is going to be more easily visible.

Focal length - I found the 41mm equiv lens near perfect on the DP2 series, although it is only a small change it is not a step in the right direction for me.

Extra stop on the DP1M is a much needed improvement and very welcome, as are 21st century LCDs.

No flash - again disappointing. Although the old pop up was not very good, it did enable me to get shots I couldn't otherwise. Don't want to carry around a extra flash unit - that's missing the point of a compact camera ...

Size - I don't think it will make much difference to me but bigger is less desirable than smaller for a carry everywhere camera.

Interchangeable lenses - a feature several of us expressed a wish for in the past and I hope Sigma release such a model in the future. For when I'm prepared to take more gear, then I've got some old lenses I'd love to try on a Foveon camera, and the SLRs would involve too much hassle modifying lenses, buying new stuff etc.

Overall I am happy - even though this post might seem like it - and if the lenses are good enough and the price isn't too bad I will be looking seriously at a DP2M.

Any other thoughts from you out there ?

Nick

Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow