Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ronan_M
Contributing MemberPosts: 895
Like?
Printing newbie
Feb 8, 2012

HI all, while I have ordered prints before, I'm now taking a bit more interest on this as I want to have the best output quality possible. Have a couple of questions and was hoping you could help

1) I process my raw pics in Lightroom and then export them to JPG to send off to the printer (on a shop, not at home). This export is generally full size (whatever size that is after cropping, but generally closer to the 12 Mp of the camera's sensor. Would I be better off, re-sizing the photo to match 300 dpi on whatever print size I want to print off (therefore generating a smaller output file) or just leave the printer to deal with the full-size image? Which one would produce better output?

It seems to me that if I resize the photo to 300 DPI ALL those pixels will be used for printing but if I leave the original size, the printer will have to discard some ?

2) my camera produces images in 2/3 ratio (0.66). Lately, I've been printing 8x10, which is a different ratio (0.8). This forces me to either crop to match the same ratio or print out with a wider white border.

Now, photoshop has the option of "stretching" the image to match the desired output ratio, so that no cropping is involved and no white borders are required. Obviously the image itself changes. Just wondering what do you guys prefer to do on these situations where your source file ratio does not match desired output ration....do you crop or "stretch"?

Thanks for your time and answers !

cheers

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow