Is Em-5 worth $500 more than G3 kit?

Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
SamKnopf
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
If you can afford it, definitely
In reply to taylorzhang, Feb 8, 2012

I have a G3, and I am very happy with it. Great image quality, compact and easy to use. I don't plan to sell it. If money is an issue, then certainly the G3 is a fine choice.

Having said that, the OM-D is a huge step higher in terms of build quality and features, with the weather sealing being a very important feature for many people. Considering the prices other companies charge for a camera of that build quality, I would say the OM-D is a very good value. I have little doubt that I will add an OM-D to my collection.

taylorzhang wrote:

They have same sensor and similar size. EM-5 offers 5 axis IS, one more control dial, metal body, better screen and EVF and weather seal. EM-5 only has iso 200 but G3 also only has iso 160. On the high end, 25600 is much higher than 6400 on G3, but who will ever pass 6400? So, is it worth almost double the price?

Recently got a slightly used G3 kit on ebay with price lower than half of EM-5 body only and am happy with it. Just asking for opinions.

SamKnopf's gear list:SamKnopf's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow