ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dbrowdy
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Inexpensive flash options for D5000
Feb 8, 2012

Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my photographic repertoire by purchasing a Speedlight flash for my D5000. I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck so I'm looking at getting a used Nikon flash or a used off-brand one.

Of course I realize that value means more than just purchasing the cheapest one. If a new SB-700 is the best option, I'll just save up until it's in my budget. But I'm hoping I can find something for cheaper that will suit my needs.

One question I have in particular is about the SBxx line of flashes. They're pretty cheap (used) compared to the SB-xxx ones and I'm wondering how well they perform comparatively.

I'm strongly considering the SB-400 but I think I'd like the ability to turn sideways, not just up. Beyond that, I'd like one that will work with the Nikon CLS for super ease of use. Thoughts?

(PS - All my photographic learning these days is geared towards eventually taking great baby photos in about 6 months.)

dbrowdy's gear list:dbrowdy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow