Memory card recovery software - it really works!

Started Feb 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maiaibing
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,525Gear list
Like?
Memory card recovery software - it really works!
Feb 7, 2012

I had a CF card this weekend that malfunctioned severely and lost around 150 pictures.

Using free online software I fully recovered all the files in RAW format - only loosing the EXIF and original file name info.

I tried two pieces of software (to be sure I recovered all of the missing files):

PC Inspector Smart Recovery
Transcend RecoveryRX (only works with Transcend memory cards)

First the good news: Both recovered all files in the end.

However, my first attempt with the PC Inspector Smart Recovery tool did not work out right because the programme by default compresses large pictures files - and these files could not be read afterwards by PS5 or Lightroom. After changes the setting to accept larger files, the program returned fully functioning CR2 raw files.

Also PC Inspector Smart Recovery was very slow to work with (as in 5-6 hours to get through the 16 GB card - very painful because I had to rerun the recovery procedure).

On the other side PC Inspector Smart Recovery supports more file formats and any brand of memory card.

Compared to this the Transcend RecoveryRX was blazing fast (as in 15 minutes) but only works with Transcend memory cards (they say). In addition to saving lost files it also has a few utility tools for memory cards.

When I checked out the memory card I must admit, I did not give the software many chances because many of the files were truncated. Fortunately I was wrong!

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow