Tripped over the IBIS today.

Started Feb 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,626Gear list
Like?
My EPM1 coming back from Oly
In reply to arrow501, Feb 7, 2012

I just checked the Oly notes online on my repair order, and it says

"camera shutter and exposure adjustment" and it got shipped back today (so hope to see it in a couple of days).

On a side note, Oly service was horribly slow last fall, and I posted about that in a thread. This time around, it was quite quick, and high communication, so hopefully they're past their service issues from last fall.

arrow501 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

I took 60 test shots -- tripod, handheld with IS and handheld without IS. The IS issues shows, so I sent the 60 shots and the camera to Oly. Waiting to hear back. They'll likely say "works within specifications" but I thought it would be worth a try.

I didn't have these issues with my EP1 or EPL2 so I'm guessing it's either the new shutter that's creating an issue, or it's just, as you said, too light of a camera. I was fine with IS off, but I figured while the camera is under warranty, I might as well give it a whirl. I have 2 other cameras I can use, so nothing lost at present. I'll let the board know if Oly returns any kind of "fix."

Great, I look forward to hearing what happens.

Still a fantastic camera, even without "full time" IS.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

One of the reasons I like the E-PM1 so much is I can use it as a phone cam for facebook with the PP1. So, quick, pointless snap of my horrible airline food today. Normally I have IBIS off, I don't like IS - when you need it, the picture is still not sharp enough, when you don't need it, who wants something waving the sensor or lens elements about? You may feel differently, and that's fine.

Anyway, it was just a snap, IBIS was on, and I didn't bother to switch it off. 14mm, f5.6, ISO 400, around 1/10 of a second, elbow on the seat rest. What's this? Camera shake? I thought maybe it was the seat rest so held it without using the rest. Still blurred. Switched off IBIS, fine, normal sharp-enough shot.

Never seen it before, but now I know people are not just making it up or being silly.

FWIW I think the camera and lens combo is so light that the IBIS itself can shake it around. I don't think it is a coincidence I was using a tiny, light pancake on a tiny, light camera.

Anyway, I'll be making sure IBIS is off unless I really need it in future, doubly so with light lenses at short lengths and close focus. I'd advise people to consider whether they want to use IBIS or not on a shot by shot basis.

"You must be too stupid to use a camera" responses will be ignored
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow