A77 Confession - Addicted to Auto HDR Mode

Started Feb 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 Confession - Addicted to Auto HDR Mode
In reply to kevroc, Feb 6, 2012

kevroc wrote:

Well, I guess I'm in the "it's close enough" camp as opposed to the "has to be absolutely perfect" camp. If I was in camp 2 then most certainly I'd shoot RAW, Bracket and PP to get the best HDR file and still have all my "negatives" so to speak.

But, alas, I'm in camp 1. The more I PP the more confused I get. Is it too bright, too dark, is there too much contrast, should I add saturation, is it sharpened right, WTH is vibrance, etc. etc. I might as well stop before I start!

It's all I can do to filter out keepers, straighten and crop a bit, minor tweaking and I'm done, I want to move on.

WRT the comment about flash or using fill-flash, obviously that's not an option on a lot of these HDR images, but I must say the final HDR image I see is like I used a fill-flash.

Nope. Different questions/answers here:
1) every shot is a case of lighting to solve.
2) you expose for you or for sharing something with everybody?

3) exposition is for what? The back of this fat women or to serve the main scenery with the flowers in front and the general atmosphere?

Yes, differents responses are possible. BUT, in this case, it's reasonnable to think:
1) if you post it here, it's for sharing your photo!
2) you probably don't expose for her butt,

3) So... the better way to expose correctly the flowers (if it's the main scenery) is eventually the flash fill-in. Why? Because it's not YOU that you make THE decision, but the ambiant light that give the right answer. And btw, your HDR is excellent but it's not as natural rendering as we can imagine for human eyes (too much contrast, reason why we generally use HDR, but NOT in this case imho)

Best Regards,
--
Michel J

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow