ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
knurl
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
question from the fuji talk forum - "orb"related
Feb 6, 2012

this post is from X10 user.

researching the "orb" problem we have with the x10 i stumbled onto some nikon1 pictures. these are the closest images up to date from another camera system that look somewhat similar.

i am aware that these are extreme situations. light sources pointing directly into the lens. so i am certainly not suggesting the nikon1 system suffers from this problem. but the resemblance is too big to not further enquire.

for those of you that are not familiar with the fuji x10 "orb" issue. it is white discs that can occur in sunlight reflections in daytime (car in the center)

or with lights at nighttime (can't miss 'em)

point lights become circles, other shapes become somekind of blobs. the problem is there when using low iso settings.

trying to find an explanation of the orb issue i had this theory that the orbs are a sensor artifact. that this can also happen in other cameras but to a much lesser extent and that it is always outdone by optical artifacts like ghosting, star shaping, flaring, ...

and that somehow this is reversed in the x10 system. optical artifacts are outdone by the extreme sensor articacts.
maybe it's just a loose theory...

i was wondering. have any of you seen or encountered similar deformations of highlights with j/v1 cameras?
perhaps sharper defined with a lens less prone to flaring and such?
or in different shapes, like with fluorescent tubes?
or due to highlight reflections?

if so and you can help shed some light on the issue, supporting or countering this theory it would be much appreciated.

if you want to read the full post, this is the link : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=40521806

again, no disrespect towards the 1 system intended.
thanks in advance.

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow