Started Feb 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rubydoomsday
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
re: the 'Silly pyramid'
Feb 5, 2012

Everyone calling the un-necessary pentaprism hump a 'silly pyramid' - guess what:

This camera isn't for you, and no-one can/will force you to buy it. Rest easy.

The pentaprism hump was a part of the design of portable (35mm film) SLR type cameras for much longer than it's been absent (digital age). While the EM-5 may not be an SLR, it's designed to appeal to that level of user.

If you want a PEN, buy a PEN. I want weather-sealing. Pentaprism matters not to me, but I have to have a built in VF and - despite being a happy and comfortablre rangefinder shooter for over a decade, with XAs, Oly RCs, Leicas and more - I prefer the VF in the centre of the cam. Many, many, many users of this established design/handling aspect of the old SLRs do.

So maybe suck it up and stop whinging? This camera isn't for you. Buy an E-P3 and be a slave to the weather.

Maybe try seeing a potential advantage - potential thieves might mistake it for a 'worthless' 'old' film camera and leave you alone while stalking someone with a Sony NEX?

PS. the hot-shoe being elevated for a proper flash (built-in flashes suck except as wireless triggers, mostly) moves it vertically further from the exposure plane, reducing the likelihood/severity of red-eye.

So that 'silly pyramid you bemoan actually offers some advantages.

I actually want my camera to look like a camera , want the handling experience to be as close to my muscle memory of 15 years of film SLR use as possible - because it's confidence, comfort - almost to the point of their absence - with the tools that make creative expression flow most smoothly.

Even with all the design concessions, until I know whether or not I can adjust the metering/spot memory with the cam to my eye, this new digital from Oly will still be an ergonomic second to the old OM4Ti.

But it's as close as I can get, so I'll take it.

rant

Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow