AE1 lenses on a new digital

Started Feb 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
macky patalinghug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,130Gear list
Like?
Re: AE1 lenses on a new digital
In reply to TonyGamble, Feb 5, 2012

TonyGamble wrote:

A pal of mine has a now defunct AE1 and has been advised by his local photographic store to buy a new Canon DSLR and a converter ring that they say will enable him to use his old lenses on the new digital body.

Yes he will be able to use his old lenses but unfortunately these adapters use a glass element that will diminish a bit of the quality of his old lenses and add a 1.3x magnification -that in addition to the 1.6x crop of Canon apsc dslrs. So that his 50mm then will now be 95mm.

If he plans to use his old Canon manual focus lenses he'd be better of buying a Sony Nex or an Olympus m43 cam because the adapters for these cameras don't have an extra glass element. Using a Nex+adapter will make his 50mm into a 75mm since the the Sony sensor has a 1.5x crop factor. The Olympus will turn it into a 100mm since its sensor has 2x crop factor.

He might miss the OVF though since these cameras only have an LCD live view. The Sony advantage is its bigger sensor. The Olympus advantage is its in body image stabilizer and a hot shoe.

Will he retain the original functionality of auto focus and auto exposure - or is this a minefield?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the lenses on the AE-1 don't AF. Yes, he can set it to AV and auto ISO and the camera will take care of the exposure. Old lenses though have a tendency to over expose so he might have to compensate and the EXIF might not be that accurate but the pix will be okay.

I have some Canon apsc cameras and use some Nikkor and m42 screw lenses with them am doing okay.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

-- hide signature --

slowshotmax

macky patalinghug's gear list:macky patalinghug's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D90 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow