Pentax categorizes K-01 as Advanced

Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,299Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel like I'm fairly advanced, and I don't care about a viewfinder
In reply to Russ Houston, Feb 4, 2012

Russ Houston wrote:

For a camera like this, I don't feel like a viewfinder is required.

Just to clarify, I did not mean to imply by my original post that people who like using LCD rather than VF are not advanced shooters. I would just guess that most advanced shooters prefer to have a VF.

There are two reasons I think this is the case.

Shooting telephoto, I can see it.

That is one reason. I would guess that most advanced shooters have telephoto lenses. And I have yet to find an effective way to use a long telephoto handheld with an LCD. The natural position of the arm holding the camera up to the eye also serves to steady the camera, whereas arms in the extended position are less stable.

The other reason has nothing to do with what is better or worse, only preferences. Someone who is advanced at using interchangeable lenses has in all likelihood become advanced by using SLRs and DSLRs, and therefore probably is more accustomed to using a VF than an LCD. That doesn't mean the VF is necessarily better, simply preferred. I know I personally prefer framing a shot in a VF because then everything else is blocked out. I can more easily isolate and envision the shot I am taking.

So for those two reasons, I would guess that most (although certainly not all) advanced shooters prefer (although not necessarily need) a VF. I understand that iPhone shooters don't care about having a VF, and I can easily foresee the K-01 being successful with that market. But I just don't consider a VF-less camera a big draw for most advanced shooters.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow