Started Feb 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,239
Like?
E30 V E5 for Boggis and Rriley - 'the false detail fest'
Feb 4, 2012

So here we go mainly with RAW as Fastone reads them, but the first one is the E30 v E5 as Lightroom sees them.

Can you see any detail in the E5 that you can't see in the E30. Any at all? Feel free to look really really hard. Click on (Original) to see a clear image of this file.

Did you see the horizontal detail in the pink fabric that the E5 rendered and the E30 missed? If you did, you're wrong, and here's why: look at the pink fabric in the 24mp Nikon shot. It clearly shows diagonal detail. In other words, the E5 invented the horizontal detail out of whole cloth. It's pretending to see detail where it can't actually resolve it.

But I bet this works a treat on an MTF test.

Do you think that is the only place the E5 is pretending to be smarter than it is? See if you can spot the false detail in the following shots.

So here's the point. Show me where the E5 is showing 30% more detail in any of these images and I will shut up.

By the way, are you noticing that the D3X, the £7,000 camera that sits with the IQ kings of 35mm for quite some time has the STRONGEST AA of all these cameras?

Why do you think Nikon did that? Do you think £7,000 didn't give them enough money to put in a properly tuned AA in their flagship camera? I'll leave that with you, shall I.

Nikon D3X Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow