Started Feb 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Batzorig
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Artwork photography with color scale
Feb 4, 2012

I often take photos of my father's paintings ( for the purpose of creating printed catalogs). I use Sekonic L-358 light meter and a set of Studio Strobes. I found myself limited in solid knowledge about how to take photos of artworks and I feel like I am doing some guess works on the exposure etc. When I test with my Light meter, the light meter tells me certain value for the exposure, but my monitor shows it quite bright. When I lower my camera exposure by 2-3 stops darker than the Light meter's reading, the monitor shows nicer image.

Also, I found that when I shoot my camera white balance setting on the Flash mode, the image color balance comes out different than when I set the custom white balance and measure the white balance from 18% grey card. I am not sure which setting is doing more accurate rendition. I don't know if I should trust my monitor color.

I feel like my father's artworks deserve better treatment than my current photography resources. His works are one of a kind and in high demand by art collectors. Usually they are gone right after they are done.

Recently I've heard that professional photographers use some kind of color scale on the 4 sides of the artwork when they shoot. I want to get more information about the color scale. Can you give me some web link with good information?

Batzorig's gear list:Batzorig's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow