Why Canon has not released a mirorless system....

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tinu_ch
Contributing MemberPosts: 659Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Canon has not released a mirorless system....
In reply to xlotus, Feb 4, 2012

xlotus wrote:

I am checking the Amazon best seller list for digital cameras:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Digital-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/281052/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_2_502394#5

Canon is doing very very well according to Amazon, putting 15 entries of their DSLRs in the top 100 plus two more advanced compact, the S100 (#11) and G12 (#21).

T3i 18-55 kit, T2i 18-55 kit and T3 18-55 kit are on number 1, 3 and 5 spots respectively.

Nikon only has 3 entries, all are their popular APS-C cameras: D3100kit (#17), D5100 kit (#33) and D7000 body (#53) on the list.

Sony only manages to put NEX3 kit on #57 while Pany and Oly put their GF2 kit (#79)and E-PL1 kit (#87 respectively.

From this best sellerJanuary 2012 snapshot it is clear that Canon DSLR cameras are still favorites among Amazon buyers which may also reflect other retailer sales figures as well.

There are several markets on this planet and Amazon covers just one of them. I guess MILC are doing better than this in the gadget crazed Asian markets - for now. The question is for how long?

Canon choose not to lead the way. MILC systems were pioneered by those companies that did not make it in the DSLR market, and for many of them I fear it will prove to be their Famous Last Stand. There are so many competitors struggling to cut out a decent piece of a limited market that it is a risky thing to enter now.

MILC systems address a dream of many photographers: DSLR-like images from a more portable package. Basically there are three ways to do this:

A. Shrinking DSLRs and lenses

It is still possible to shrink the Rebel series a bit, but handling will suffer even more. Shrinking the lenses is more of a challenge.

There is no technical reason why you couldn't fit a FF sensor into Rebel sized body or smaller. Up to now people dropping the money for a FF wanted that amount to be reflected by the feel of the body. High-end MILC bodies like the upcoming Fuji might change that attitude.

B. Put a bigger sensor into a compact camera

Fuji X100 and Canon G1X are recent attempts in this sector, but we will see more in the future. Looking at old film based gems like the Olympus XA or Yashica T4 etc. even FF could be pocket sized when you stay with a moderatly fast 35mm or a slow 28-70.

C. MILC

Dropping the mirror makes the bodies smaller and makes it easier to design small wideangle lenses and standard zooms (no retrofocus design required). At the moment it comes at a price concerning responsiveness, viewfinder (lag!) and AF. Until this is sorted out they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

All three approaches have their strenghts and weaknesses. All three are on the market now and evolving year by year. We will vote with our valet which will stay - or more acuratly, which role they will play in the future. Interesting times.

Tinu

-- hide signature --

If the text above reads like real English, it must be a quotation
Some of my pictures: http://www.pbase.com/tinu

Tinu_ch's gear list:Tinu_ch's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow