Have you replaced your walk-around zoom with 2 or 3 primes?

Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
petebee
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
Re: Have you replaced your walk-around zoom with 2 or 3 primes?
In reply to JackM, Feb 3, 2012

Like many posters, I haven't replaced my walk around zoom (24-105 f/4L) with primes ... just "augmented" it.

It may seem like a strangely overlapping set, but in addition to the zoom I've ended up with a 24 f/1.4L II, 50 f/1.4 and a 135 f/2L. Added to this are extension tubes, a 1.4x tele-extender and the wonderfully cheap-and-cheerful Samyang 14mm.

I got the 24/105 when they first came out and out-of-the-box it had a bit of front focus, but after a trip to Canon it came back perfect (this was in the days before I had AF micro-adjust) - Since then it's just been too good to get rid of and the IS is a god-send.

For those times I want to just walk around, I'll take this lens only. I'm defining "walk around" here as those times I want a camera with me but have no real plan to take pics.

For a bit more flexibility I'll add the 14mm and maybe the 50mm. The full prime set comes out when I'm going somewhere with the specific intention of taking photos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow