G3 operation question and complaint

Started Feb 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
JimLindner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
David
In reply to DavidF, Feb 3, 2012

DavidF wrote:

I'm a new owner of a G3. I'm working my way through the manual, trying to figure out all the settings and functions.

The manual is pretty useless. I finally just went through all the menu's one at a time to figure what each function did.

I was able to figure out how to set one-point focusing (in the middle), but if I try to use any of the Cursor buttons (ISO, WB, etc.) located around the MENU/SET button on the back of the camera, it keeps bringing up the one-point focus screen, asking me to confirm/set it again.

I believe you have set "Direct Focus Area" in the custom menu pg 3 to ON.

This disables the cursor button normal functions and uses them for focus options.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

Turn "Direct Focus Area" OFF in the custom menu. To change the focus mode press the left cursor button. This give you access to the AF Mode - Pinpoint, 1 area, 23 area, Tracking and Face Detection.

As an aside, the PDF manual for this camera is one of the most poorly written, confusing camera manuals I have yet had the pleasure to read. If I stick with the 4/3s systems and have to select another camera in the future, this will certainly be a factor as to what brand I'll buy.

Yes, but probably no worse than most other manufactures.

It is more than upsetting that Panasonic makes a seemingly great camera with lots of features, but doesn't have the decency to give a decent manual with it so you can actually learn make use of it.

Keep at it. It took me several weeks before I got the "Feel" of the camera and interface. At first I could not find a function, accidentally hit one of the buttons etc. The first week I was constantly hitting the ISO button when carrying the camera, now I have none of those problems, .

The G3 is probably the most bite for the buck of any m43 camera today. Go out and shoot, after several hundred shots you will love the camera!

-- hide signature --

Regards Jim
We All Need Water!

JimLindner's gear list:JimLindner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow