Nikon D200 and Nikkor 24-50 3.3-4.5 AF

Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,745
Like?
Re: At Night
In reply to Cytokine, Feb 2, 2012

-you are right, like the telephotos, I remember 16-35/4 very long (one bit longer and it’d seem like something is flawed about this uwa). all are long, uwa fast primes also. - and understand your point - people scared off (or worse).

I’d watch out for flare as it’s an old design on digital sensor I am thinking – but Wales is not Texas in terms of sunshine. And I would be interested to see some of your images with it, samples look with plenty of detail – resizing won’t safe any lens that is soft. Having your 50/1.4 as a benchmark in your set you have pretty good idea how the lens fares and where it drops below requirements. This is by the way my favorite way of making a picture about lenses – relative to each other.

Cytokine wrote:

Also I am constantly surprised by the optical quality of these older lenses and enjoy exploring their abilities. Especially when they cost the same as half a tank of petrol in the UK.

Absolutely John. My guess is this copy is very good at 5.6, too, at least when borders are not critical. In any case a careful work with the lens can bypass a need for more investment now and can be producing splendid photography although we have to work a bit more. – like you say it’s all part of it.

Hynek

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow