A77 questions: first-curtain; HDR; GPS; etc.

Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668Gear list
Like?
A77 questions: first-curtain; HDR; GPS; etc.
Feb 2, 2012

Few questions pertaining to the A77.

1. When I use the Auto HDR feature the camera generates and saves TWO images. Why? One of them seems always to be very underexposed; the other is the one that benefits from the HDR. Using DRO only generates one image file.

2. I don't understand the First Curtain Shutter option. Read about it in the DPR review which says to leave this option ON all the time. There must be a reason not to or they wouldn't give us the option. What's the advantage of leaving it OFF? And what the heck does this do? I can hear the difference but can't figure out what the fuss is about.

3. What is GPS Assist? Sounds like something I need to download and somehow install on the camera, but why would I? Sorry but Google and site search provide too much info that doesn't help me figure out why I need it. I have GPS enabled in the A77 and it seems to work great. Info gets imported into Lightroom and when I export from there to Picasa and then to Picasa Web Albums, the info stays in the file and I can map my photos. I never did anything but turn GPS on in the camera.

Thanks.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow