Tethered shooting

Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,892Gear list
Like?
I think their cameras ARE for consumers ...
In reply to ArmandN, Feb 2, 2012

While there's still a little Minolta DNA there, Sony's SLT offerings make it clear that these are step-up models for the P&S crowd - and it makes a lot of sense. I think Sony realized, early on, that it couldn't catch up to the product depth that C/N have - as capable as they are, they're just not able to compete with systems that have been in continuous development for so many years. So they looked at the market, wondering how they could increase share even though they couldn't match the photographic depth and features of the main competition. The answer was, apparently, that they'd give the P&S users (to whom Sony had already sold a huge number of cameras) an upgrade path into dSLR quality without the learning curve. So you see things like SLT cameras with lots of automated goodies (that require you to shoot in JPEG), a lack of attention to "more advanced" photographic features (e.g. better exposure bracketing, "my menu," tethering, mapping of SSS, a dedicated SSS button, better industry compatibility, etc.) and marketing that seems to be aimed at that group (the "evolving" P&S shooters). I think it works well, financially, for them, and if you don't have an urge to use some of the [photographic techniques that their cameras don't provide for,] you can still do some serious work. But I don't expect Sony to pull even with C/N in those (niche?) photographic features; we're deep into a culture that wants a 1-click fantastic experience - they're not necessarily cameras that invite other kinds of exploration.
--
Rich

http://philosurfer.zenfolio.com/

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow