ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
El Duderino
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Longevity and design philosophy of Micro 4/3rds and E-mount lens systems
Feb 2, 2012

Photonaughts and Foruministers,

What are your thoughts on where the Micro 4/3rds and E-mount lens systems will be in 10 years (I know this is fraught)?

The CSC/MILC/EVIL (whatever you want to call it) market is really fluid at the moment. The rate at which new cameras are being released is really quite stunning. Since it is such a nascent market, I am sure the technology will be quite different in five years. What manufactures can produce and what consumers will expect will no doubt change markedly. What they can't change is physics! Well designed lenses now will still be well designed lenses long after we have seen many incarnations of technology successes and failures.

I am a novice looking to build a compact system for fun (maybe addiction later). I am an old-school consumer. I like to spend a reasonable amount, on a well made product that last for many years, infrequently. Not succumbing to the compulsion of having to by the newest iSomething-X 2.0 every six months just because it now comes in red.

At the heart of a good camera system is lenses (some of which we can keep for life - at least in theory!). The disposable cameras we attach to the back of these can come and go. So again, what is the community's sense about where the Micro 4/3rds and E-mount lens systems will be in 10 years? Would I regret either choice in 2022? I would be interested to hear what you have to say. Particularly the old timers who can draw on long term experience with product life cycles.

Regards,
El Duderino

(Please don't use this question as an opportunity for a flame war. Or to push specifications, which I am reasonably well versed in, for either system. Or to talk about current lens line-ups. I am more interested in the philosophy, design choices and speculated longevity of these two lens systems)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow