Pentax K-01: that's what you get when you hire a chair designer.

Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tigrebleu
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020
Like?
Pentax K-01: that's what you get when you hire a chair designer.
Feb 2, 2012

Well, rumors said the K-01 would be ugly.

Looking at the designer's other work on his website before the pictures of the K-01 got leaked, I thought Pentax would come up with a real good looking product. Newson has designed some awesome watches, beautiful products and amazing furniture. So I was expecting something very bold and elegant.

Well, the first leaked images confirm it's pretty much as bad as expected. Not bold enough ... not too elegant either.

http://photorumors.com/2012/02/01/19814/

While the shape of the camera itself isn't bad, the lens looks like someone put a piece of glass in the middle of a miniature, 78-turn vinyl record, and the buttons look like those of a plastic Fisher-Price toy. The big bulge under the exposure mode dial could've been interesting if it had been included as part of a retro-looking, not only retro-inspired concept.

Still, it could be worse. It could have overly rounded corners on all angles and a rounded bulge with a protuding lens in it, like with the Canon Powershot D10. And the new 40mm lens is very, very thin. Too bad the camera isn't a bit thinner as well.

Well, that's what you get when you hire furniture designers to create a photo product, I guess, lol.

Kudos to Pentax for trying, though.

Overall, for me, it's only a vert small a disappointement. I'm not mirrorless market for I don't need a mirrorless camera now, but if I was and I cared about looks, I would think of other possibilities before of going the K-01 route.

But looks is one thing which I don't care much about. What's under the hood is another.

With an APS-C sensor that has made its proof in terms of image quality, the K-01 could be serious competition to the Sony NEX, Nikon 1, Olympus PEN and Pana G series cameras, provided the price is competitive and the overall performance is meeting expectations.

Too bad the camera ain't better looking. I don't care much about looks, but a lot of customers do. With Pentax ergonomics and great IQ like with the K-5, a K-01 with the retro looks of a Fuji X100 or X-Pro1 or the elegant design of a Nikon 1, would've been an instant success. Now we'll have to wait and see if potential buyers like Newson's design or not ...

-- hide signature --

If photography can be considered like painting, then I'm still at the preschool "paint with your fingers" level.

Canon PowerShot D10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
K-01New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow