Pentax K-01: that's what you get when you hire a chair designer.

Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020
Pentax K-01: that's what you get when you hire a chair designer.
Feb 2, 2012

Well, rumors said the K-01 would be ugly.

Looking at the designer's other work on his website before the pictures of the K-01 got leaked, I thought Pentax would come up with a real good looking product. Newson has designed some awesome watches, beautiful products and amazing furniture. So I was expecting something very bold and elegant.

Well, the first leaked images confirm it's pretty much as bad as expected. Not bold enough ... not too elegant either.

While the shape of the camera itself isn't bad, the lens looks like someone put a piece of glass in the middle of a miniature, 78-turn vinyl record, and the buttons look like those of a plastic Fisher-Price toy. The big bulge under the exposure mode dial could've been interesting if it had been included as part of a retro-looking, not only retro-inspired concept.

Still, it could be worse. It could have overly rounded corners on all angles and a rounded bulge with a protuding lens in it, like with the Canon Powershot D10. And the new 40mm lens is very, very thin. Too bad the camera isn't a bit thinner as well.

Well, that's what you get when you hire furniture designers to create a photo product, I guess, lol.

Kudos to Pentax for trying, though.

Overall, for me, it's only a vert small a disappointement. I'm not mirrorless market for I don't need a mirrorless camera now, but if I was and I cared about looks, I would think of other possibilities before of going the K-01 route.

But looks is one thing which I don't care much about. What's under the hood is another.

With an APS-C sensor that has made its proof in terms of image quality, the K-01 could be serious competition to the Sony NEX, Nikon 1, Olympus PEN and Pana G series cameras, provided the price is competitive and the overall performance is meeting expectations.

Too bad the camera ain't better looking. I don't care much about looks, but a lot of customers do. With Pentax ergonomics and great IQ like with the K-5, a K-01 with the retro looks of a Fuji X100 or X-Pro1 or the elegant design of a Nikon 1, would've been an instant success. Now we'll have to wait and see if potential buyers like Newson's design or not ...

-- hide signature --

If photography can be considered like painting, then I'm still at the preschool "paint with your fingers" level.

Canon PowerShot D10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow