Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nemist
Regular MemberPosts: 369
Like?
D800, DR and ISO questions
Feb 2, 2012

I have a functional (crappy!) yet basic understanding of sensors. But I have two questions regarding the d800:

1) If it is 36mp, does that negatively affect DR in any way? If the same sensor is 24mp, are we getting better DR because of less signal noise or anything? Is DR correlated to the sensor size and resolution the same way ISO is? Given that the d7000/sony new-7 are crop cameras with incredible DR besting FF (older though), I think not. Or can I expect much greater DR because of the 2.25x, or will it just be proportional the FF sensor, or not at all? Basically, how does DR work in sensors, FF or crop?

2) As far as 36mp goes, and lets just assume that the d800 is the exact same sensor as the d7000 but FF not cropped, if I were to downsize the d800 photos to 16mp, will have two and half stops less noise? Does d800 iso3200 become D7000 iso 640ish? Does it quantify concretely, or what can I expect with all this resolution regarding downsizing?

I am trying to understand the advantages to 36mp, and therefore if I'll purchase this camera. Thanks guys.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow