B&W filter bent after dropping - cannot remove it!

Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dennis Galletta
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
B&W filter bent after dropping - cannot remove it!
Feb 1, 2012

Yes, I'm an idiot and my camera (in an "ever ready" case) slipped from my shoulder a short distance and hit a cement floor, lens down. This is my beloved 24-70 L lens.

The lens looks perfect and the B&W multicoated filter seemed to have taken all of the damage. The filter is not broken, but the edge is a tiny bit bent in towards the center of the filter. I think this has pushed the filter threads OUT enough to have the filter firmly stuck on the lens. I had some strong dudes try and turn it to no avail.

The filter is one of those brass ones. I tried using a pair of small pliers to bend the filter ring back out (so the threads would then rotate back IN towards the center of the filter's circle). This did not help.

I'm not a pro so I can afford to be without the camera for a week or so, but I'm not sure I want to be without it for weeks and weeks. I've seen "do-it-yourself" websites that discuss hacksawing off the filter.

The main problem I will have is that I will no longer be able to screw on my polarizing filter.

One other thing: one site says that a Hoya filter will allow removal of the glass by removing a ring. Does B&W allow that too? I can't see anything removable but it might be very thin and under a glued strip or something.

Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

DG

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow