Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?
S1, S2, S3, S5, Wednesday thread 2012.02.01
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, I am back on solid ground, back home in the Rocky Mountains, working to keep the Wednesday thread alive for all to enjoy. I burned through about 1600 images with the D40x and two disposable underwater cameras were sacraficed for the effort. Ten mainland lighthouses were added to the collection and two from the Caribbean. A few birds and lots of iguanas posed and then there were rays, sharks, tortises, butterflies and things I might not remember until I start working with the digital files. Yes, it was fun.

Let's look at a few more lighthouse images. The last lighthouse I saw was the one in San Juan harbor at Ft Morro. I was able to take these from the cruise ship arriving. There was just not enough time in port to get closer due to the other tour I was on. Bacardi distilleries gives two drink tickets and a nice tour.

The first foreign lighthouse I collected was while departing Grand Truck in the British West Indies. I was all in here with the Sigma 50mm-150mm f2.8 lens and the Sigma 1.4 TC attached. I could still have used more lens if I had it. This image is pretty heavily cropped. I thought about taking a taxi out from the port but that would have cost around $80 for myself and the girl friend with no guarantee of being able to get onto the lighthouse grounds. I opted to swim in the 77F waters for a couple of hours instead.

This is the Jupiter Inlet lighthouse in Jupiter, FL. There is a nice lighthouse tour here which also includes a settler's cabin. This is also one where you can climb the tower before you leave.

You never know what you might find inside the brick walls. The Jupiter Inlet lighthouse had two things which set it apart from others I have visited. When the floor door to the lens room is left open the sunlight passing through the fresnel glass is passed down the tower length. These stairs are also cast with perforations which filter the prism rainbows from the fresnel glass. This leads to a wonderful effect from the sun. We are looking up the spiral stairway on the inside wall.

I have more trip photos to share which were taken with the D40x but I will try to have something from a Fuji body for next week's posting.

Thanks to all who are sharing here. I will try to comment more directly to the photos now that I am back home and I have mostly caught up on the snow shoveling around the house.

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Nikon D40X Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PaulNew
TonyNew
TonyNew
AlanNew
TomNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow