Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pegasus1457
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?
trashing the Panny G2
Feb 1, 2012

In early 2010 I bought a GF1 with 20mm kit lens. I have taken some great photos with this combo. I added the 7-14mm and the 45-200mm zooms, and have been happy with both lenses, especially the 7-14. I used this gear in the Galapagos last year and it never let me down.

But I have been dissatisfied with one aspect of the GF1 -- lack of an eye-level finder.

I find the LCD hard to use in bright sunlight, and I prefer to stabilize the camera body against my cheek instead of holding it at arm's length to view the LCD.

I have an EVF but find it is fragile, susceptible to being trashed when pulling the camera out of the bag, and, when mounted, it prevents use of an external flash.

When the G2 bodies came down in price, I bought one -- answer to all my prayers (I thought).

I took the G2 and my 3 lenses on a 2 week visit to Costa Rica earlier this month.
What a disaster!

For the first week I could not get the switch in the rear dial to work. I was unable to do exposure compensation (Program mode) or even to alternate between setting aperture/shutter in Manual. I had the printed manual with me but there was no clue there. I concluded that the switch had become inoperative. I realized after being able to use the switch to engage ISO in Quick Menu mode that there was nothing wrong with the switch.

By accident I spotted something on the LCD menu -- the rear dial switch function had been re-assigned to the LVF/LCD switch! [I must have done this inadvertently, but certainly do not remember doing it.] It is inexcusable that there is no mention of this in the user manual !!

As a result most of the photos I took during this week were badly exposed, salvaged only because I record RAW+JPEG.

Even more inexcusable, most of my photos during the entire trip suffered from being imprecisely focussed. Since I have never had this problem with the GF1 body, I blame the G2.

My conclusion: the G2 body is no bargain. Mine will be sold at the first opportunity.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow