Sony 35mm 1.8 on A200 - need help

Started Jan 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lineypi
Contributing MemberPosts: 810
Like?
Re: It does take nice shots
In reply to chd dad, Jan 31, 2012

There's definitely something strange going on. I agree that your boy is out of focus while the ropes are clearly in focus. Hmm.... Did you say whether your using AF-A, AF-S or AF-C? (I can't recall) - I still feel like that may have something to do with it.

I'd also be interested to see how it went with the AF area set to wide. I know you're working with a narrow depth of field and would prefer to use the spot focus, but it's mostly just an exercise to see if the camera still isn't focusing on the right point even when it's doing all the work itself.

Also what's your method for taking the photos. If you're in AF-C, are you prefocusing (half press shutter) on your son and then following his motion? Or if you're in AF-S are you prefocusing and then recomposing?

It could be the lens changing focus too quickly for you. For instance, if you're in AF-C and your son is in the middle and you hit prefocus, then he moves or you shake slightly and suddenly the camera has shifted focus somewhere else.

Is there any chance you can try the lens on a different body or try out a different 35mm on your a200? Some camera stores around here will let me bring in my camera and lenses to test their gear, maybe you can do the same? At least doing something like that would help you to rule out whether or not it's a lens or body issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow