Started Jan 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jaysun
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
D5100 or D7000?
Jan 31, 2012

I graduated a couple years ago from a point & shoot to Nikon D5000. At the time, I could have afforded the more expensive D90 but opted to go with the much less pricey D5000. I just didn't realize I was going to use it as much as I have and wasn't willing to double down on that bet the day of the purchase. As much as I've loved my 5000, I wish I would have splurged for the 90 because I don't think I'd be feeling the itch I feel right now to upgrade again.

Either way, what's done is done and now it's time, yet again, to make an important, and very similar, decision.

I've narrowed it down to the D7000 and the D5100. I'm looking for some insight from folks that have owned or shot with these models that can give me an insider's perspective on picture quality.

From what I gather, they both seem to use the same sensor. Is that correct? If so, the benefits of the D7000 don't look like they jusify the price tag of about twice that of the 5100.

The 7000 has many more focus points, it's weather sealed (which I like, as I shoot in heavy humidity and drizzle a lot), has a built-in motor (NICE!), shoots more FPS and has a max shutter speed of 1/8000s. Other than that, its pros seem negligible and I'm having a hard time justifying the huge cost difference. Then again, I'm certainly no professional when it comes to camera selection.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, on a side note, if anyone can recommend a good macro lens in the $300-$400 range, I'd be grateful.

Thank you

Nikon D5000 Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow