Started Jan 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
john enea
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
yet another need help with travel lense selection with a small catch
Jan 31, 2012

with a small caveat. this set up will be used by my son.

He will be going on the much looked forward to 8th grade field trip to Washington DC. he says he wants to bring a camera with him (after me telling him how much i wish i had one when i did it centuries ago!). So now its a matter of finding something that will work for him. I will let him bring my d700 but will leave the battery grip at home to keep the weight down. so 2 in camera batteries it is. I really am not a huge fan of him changing lenses, not that he doesn't know how to do it, its just that I won't be there to be anal. So the best solution is a one stop lens for everything (depending on which one we pick a long zoom could also find its way into his bag).

So to make sure he got the idea of how much it will weigh and if he can make it through an entire day, he carried the camera with 70-300VR for a few hours. He said it was fine. OK, so now....... which lens?

so here are my options
1) use a lens I own
2) get a new lens
3) go to a new camera in the small travel size like a Fuji X100 or the like.

1) lenses I do have:
a) 50mm 1.8D with a 20mm 2.8d the extra can fit in his pants pocket

b) 35-70 2.8D old school built like a tank push pull

c) a lens i just found two days ago on my moms brand new unused n80, an old school ai-s 35-135mm 1:3.5- 4.5. I would bet that this lens over its life has taken no more than 50 shutter clicks.

2) get a new lens.
a) 28-300
b) 24-120 (which is what I'm leaning towards).

so any thoughts or ideas would be great. This is a special moment for him so I have no issues spending the money, especially as I will have the toy when he is done (great way to justify getting new stuff right?)! at 12 the kid is a Photoshop expert, actually correcting the teacher at the local junior college on several things when we took a night class. He is real passionate about taking pictures so I want to make sure he has the best equipment to take his pictures.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow