Started Jan 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?
Dx wide angle conundrum
Jan 31, 2012

I've been consolidating my lenses. The idea is to end up with one very good zoom lens for each area that's important to me. The core of that lineup is the 24-70 and 70-200. While they have many uses, I mostly use them for people/portraits and action/sports respectively.

I need to fill in the wide end. For landscape, cityscape, interiors, I want a single go-to lens. If I'm out shooting this stuff, I'd probably stick to a single lens with a 50mm prime and/or 18-105 to supplement if I need to get longer or faster. I'd expect the UWA to be used 90% of the time.

I'm the most excited creatively by the Sigma 8-16. No other lens offers this perspective on a Dx body. 8mm is a lot wider than 10mm and I can think of some really interesting uses. My concern is that it would end up a specialty lens where it's only value is extreme perspective. This will mean I'll need to swap out for the 18-105 more often.

The Nikon 10-24 is the other top choice. It's more money but it's also a more sensible choice. Optically it is best in class for Dx UWA. 10mm is still quite wide but I also have 16-24mm range which is very useful. I'd occasionally need to get beyond 24mm but not often.

The other factor is filters. CPs, IMO are not all that useful on UWA lenses. I could live without one. A (non-graduated) ND filter though, is very useful for when I want to cut light to get slower shutter speeds. I thinjk the 10-24 can use filters and the 8-16 cannot. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd appreciate comments from people who have used these lenses. Can you go out for a day with just the 10-24? Is the 8-16 too specialized? I'm confident in the IQ of either lens, I'm more concerned with what it's like to live with and use these lenses on a regular basis.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow