No Auto ISO in G3 Manual Mode?

Started Jan 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,374Gear list
Like?
Auto ISO can be really useful - example
In reply to bronxbombers, Jan 31, 2012

I was shooting a kids party recently where there was nice natural light from large windows and I didn't want to use flash. So I stuck the Oly 45mm on my GH1 and also on my G3 and shot away in S mode with 1/200 dialled in - that shutter speed was needed to stop the motion of the kids running around, dancing to their little kids disco and so on. However, the camera frequently opened up the aperture to 1.8 at the ISOs I selected, meaning the DOF was often too narrow. i needed at least f 2.2. Achieveing f2.2 and 1/200 in M mode with the GH1 and G3 meant continuosuly changing ISO as the cloud cover changed the amount of light shining through the windows.

in contrast, half way through the shoot I changed to my EP2 and set AUTO ISO, M mode with 1/200 and f2.2 dialed in - the EP2 did the rest (i.e. worrying about setting an appropriate ISO) and I could concentrate on getting the right shot at the right time.

Just one example of where it's nice to have AUTO ISO as an option in M mode - it's not somethig you want all the time, but at times like this it's darn useful.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow