panasonic EVF's - have they improved a lot?

Started Jan 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
panikspace
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Re: Panasonic EVF for focusing
In reply to pcake, Jan 30, 2012

I have found, in moving from Canon DSLRs to a G3, that the EVF is barely adequate, especially for manual focusing. There are a few reasons for this - one is obviously resolution - I think there's just enough to get the job done, but I do a lot of hunting back and forth because it never really pops into sharp focus - there just aren't enough pixels to look sharp.

Also, on a bright day, I need to shield the top of the finder to see what's going on - hard to explain exactly, but I feel like I need a wide-brimmed hat, or a deep rubber eyecup, or something to shade the top of the camera - I find myself adopting an awkward position to shade the EVF from the sun with my hand. This isn't unique to EVF cameras, but somehow it seems worse with the G3 than any other I've used - perhaps the EVF is just that much dimmer than daylight compared to a SLR?

Thirdly - there is a sort of jerkiness when using a long lens - don't know if this is due to refresh rate or something else, but it almost makes me dizzy trying to frame with anything over 100mm - it's worse with manual lenses that don't have OIS, but even the kit 45-200 with OIS doesn't seem to stabilize the image as well as my 70-200 on a Canon.

I haven't looked at a Nex 7 yet - I wonder if it's any better?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow