what percentage ?

Started Jan 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
JoePhoto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,573
Like?
Re: what percentage ?
In reply to onechobeach, Jan 30, 2012

onechobeach wrote:

What percentage of your photographs do you keep ?

I deleted around 75% of everything.

I am not sure if what I have to say applies to what you are talking about.

BUT .... I owned a photo-lab for 15 years. Thus I had many, many, many people come in with OLD photos, (or negatives), to print/copy.

Most of these were really JUNK photos, they were blurry, and very "uninteresting" in every way. BUT ... they often had "something" in the subject or background that probably had NO VALUE WHATSOEVER back when the photos were first taken, but now, (20, 30, 40, 50, 100) YEARS later they were VERY important to their lives/history.

It may have been a "dog", or an old "car", an old "house", a former "vacation" location, or a person --- that perhaps only now they realize is the ONLY photo they may have of that person/object.

Note that many of these "objects" were not even the original main subject, but simply things that were in the background, and were unimportant at the time.

So I suggest that we today are losing much of our "history" (in the future), when we discard photos that may be out of focus/blurry, or seem dull or unemportant today.

Many of my customers broke down and cried when they described the history and current value of these photos that are being discarded today in the digital world.

(That being said I can't argue with discarding "redundant" photos of the same subject.)

-- hide signature --

Thanks for reading .... JoePhoto

( Do You Ever STOP to THINK --- and FORGET to START Again ??? )

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow