Started Jan 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fabiano Barbosa Vilela
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
First pics with SZ30 from Brazil
Jan 30, 2012

After about 6 months reading and reading about the ideal TZ camera for me I finally decided on the SZ30. I´ve had a dozen digital cameras so far, mainly compact and a couple of ultracompact and bridge. Lately I had the Sony HX5 but missed the long tele so bought the Panasonic FZ40. The HX5 went to my wife but it was stolen 10 days later. I wanted a all around camera and chose the SZ30 to replace both the FZ40 and HX5. Well, I´m afraid I expected too much of this little gem. The SZ30 is quite impressive but there are important cons. It´s definitely the most beautiful camera I´ve ever had, stunning. There were two problems in the LCD: a hot pixel in the centre and a small brown stain on the left bottom (under the LCD). The menus are quite easy and intuitive but I do miss an EV and burst button. The first pictures are good and I only had problems with some pink halo in the centre of both pics and video of some monkeys and green nature shots, that hasn´t shown up again. The macros are quite hard to focus sometimes but when it does the results are excellent. I love birding and I can say that this camera is pretty hit and miss in this case. The tele end needs extremely steady hands or a tripod but it´s awesome. Another important drawback is the ridiculous battery life, I´ve never seen it before, it lasts only one or two days. Even with the drawbacks, for $284 it´s definitely a keeper!

My gallery has a great variety of shooting conditions which can guide potential buyers. Feedback is highly welcomed.

Do you guys use the Olympus software to manage the pics/videos?

Cheers,

Fabiano

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 (Lumix DMC-FZ45) Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow