Started Jan 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Steinman
Contributing MemberPosts: 591
Like?
Telephoto Zoom Choice - Sony or Tamron?
Jan 30, 2012

I've recently made a decision to upgrade my A700 and chose the A77. I m looking forward to receiving it with the 16-50mm f2.8 kit lens this week. I'm now considering a longer zoom to pair up with this instead of the 18-250mm Tamron Dii II I've commonly used with my A700.

I'm considering what appears to be the more obvious choices in a modest price range as compared to faster lenses at a higher price point. I'm currently considering the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di USD XLD or the Sony SAL70300G 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SSM ED G-Series lens. The Tamron is considerably less expensive. I've read various comments, some suggesting they produce relativey equal quality photos and have similar performance capabilities.

For those who have had an opportunity to use both, is there an appreciable benefit to the Sony lens over the Tamron? Is there any features or functionality that I gain by paring Sony products, in particular this Sony lens and the A77? For an average amateur photographer who enjoys wildlife and sports photography, is there one that is a clear choice over the other?

Certainly, I'd be very happy saving the money by choosing the Tamron and using the difference towards other gear. However, I don't want to end up with buyer's remorse and wish I hadn't gone the less expensive route purely for financial reasons.

As always, your input is always appreciated!

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow