Started Jan 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,862
Like?
OM-D vs. GH2
Jan 30, 2012

I'm willing and able to go for a new camerabody soon, to add to my E-PL1. I basically want to replace my E-520 (and E-500), which are still the cameras of choice for use with larger 4/3 lenses. However, they do lack in IQ compared to more recent m4/3 cameras. It seems that the GH2 or OM-D will likely fit the bill. So, without even having the official news of the OM-D yet, I'm already contemplating...

Important to me is fast focus for my 14-54mm mkI and other 4/3 lenses. There's speculation about an OM-D featuring a solution, but of course nothing definite. If it's on-sensor PDAF, it would almost certainly clinch the deal. But if it's an adapter, I have the option (I guess) to use it on the GH2 as well.

Another important issue is the price of course. The OM-D will cost €1149 (rumour) with the (new?) kit lens. I've seen a great offer on the GH2 for €621 (incl the 14-42). More than €500 difference would allow me to get the 25mm f/1.4, or the 45mm f/1.8 + something else...

Another plus for the GH2 is the multi-aspect sensor. I had that feature in the TZ5 and thouroughly enjoyed it. The downside of the GH2 is the sub-optimal jpeg rendering (according to many reviews). IQ of the OM-D remains to be seen of course.

Anyway, I'm quite excited about the OM-D so far. But I need more solid FT5 rumours!!!

When faced with this choice, what would you do? Am I missing any important differences (I know about IBIS)?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilgy_no1

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow