Started Jan 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
F-onefour
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
50mm f/1.2L on an EOS 1V?
Jan 29, 2012

First off, for small format I'm a Nikon shooter.

But My D700 took a tumble and I'm getting about $2500 to replace it. Now it's not completely broken, but broken enough to where it's totaled. I can still use it, but some major functions don't work (playback button, AF selection, flash among other things). Bottom line, I can still use it if I tape it shut.

I'm thinking, since I can still use the D700 for the most part, to take a look into Canon equipment. I shoot mostly film, so I'll be using a 1V. The main reason i'm interested in Canon is for their 50mm f/1.2L.

I've been using the 50mm f/1.4G on my F100's and D700 and the results have been OK (wide open), but I want something that's got background rendering a little more in line with what I get with my 645AFD.

So, Does anyone have any experience with the 50mm f/1.2? Is it worth the premium over the 1.4? how is the clarity at f/1.2 (on film if possible)? is the bokeh that much smoother than the 1.4? how reliable is the AF? Mind you, This lens probably wouldn't get stopped down past f/2.8, and would be almost entirely used at f/1.2.

Main applications are portrait and wedding.

Gear I use the most (in order)
Mamiya 645AFD + 80mm f/2.8 (400H or Ektar at half box speed)
Nikon F100 (again, 400H or Ektar at half box speed)
50mm f/1.4G
24mm f/1.4G
35mm f/1.4G
Nikon D700

I hardly shoot digital nowadays which is why if I'm looking at 1V. I'm thinking if the 50L is that good, maybe switch to Canon and pocket the difference.

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow