ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,333Gear list
Like?
Cheap M43 macro kit - pix with M. Zuiko 40-150 + Marumi DHG 200
Jan 28, 2012

Hi guys,

A few months ago I was active in some threads discussing cheap options for macro shooting with M43 kit. The only native macro lens for M43 is the Panasonic 45mm f2.8, which is eye-wateringly expensive.

After a fair bit of research into macro shooting with legacy glass, reversed lenses, macro tubes and macro filters, I decided to buy a Marumi DHG 200 Achromat, which is similar to a +5 macro filter but with superior optics (two or three multi-coated elements).

Anyhow, it arrived two weeks ago, and I've had three shooting sessions with it screwed on to the M. Zuiko 40-150. The total cost of this setup is US $260 (the lens cost $200 from an electronics market in Seoul, and the Marumi in 58mm thread cost $60 from ebay).

Rather than just vanish after my earlier forum activity, I felt I should at least display some of my results, good and bad, so that other shooters looking to get into macro could make their own assessments of the lens + Marumi combo.

These have been my first experiences shooting macro (I'm a total novice) I struggled a lot with focus at first, and still find it hard to nail insect eyes. I've found that I have to stop down heaps because of the razor-thin depth of field, but a reasonable proportion of my pix are sharp where I want them to be.

The M. Zuiko is able to focus through the Marumi, but rarely auto-focuses where I want it to. I have used the E-P3's touchscreen shooting mode with good results. Sometimes I switch to manual focus and move the camera backwards and forwards until I think the insect's eyes are in focus.

I was quite pleased with the dragonfly today. The last image (green fly) is poorly framed and hopelessly out of focus, but I added it anyway because the fly is just so ... well, it's very very green.

I welcome comments on the pix and alternative macro options for M43.

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow