Started Jan 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
Dynamic Range
Jan 28, 2012

With all the 5DIII / D1X threads, rumors, etc. I am surprised there is little to no talk of the biggest limitation in Digital Cameras.

It is NOT AF! The AF systems are amazing! Tracking small moving objects at thousands of times per second.

It is not sharpness! Unless you are interested in pixel peeping or printing 20" x 30" prints, they are all up to the task.

It is not noise! We are already getting low noise shots at 12,800 ISO. Are you kidding me?!

The biggest problem with all digital cameras is their extremely limited Dynamic Range. B&W film had 14 stops. Our eyes can see 20 stops. These cameras that are so amazing in many ways capture a measly 6-8 stops from black to white. How many shots are ruined or impossible without post production due to the limitation. Blinkies!? Are you kidding?

I am still using Graduated ND filters to tone down sunsets of bright skies to keep everything within the cameras' abilities.

When will we get a 20 stop dynamic range from these cameras? Why don't we have one already?

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D1X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow