Epson 3880 Pizza Wheels 2012: Any Breakthroughs?

Started Jan 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
JayMitch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
Re: Epson 3880 Pizza Wheels 2012: Any Breakthroughs?
In reply to Paul Concannon, Jan 27, 2012

I'm still mulling over solutions, still thinking about how I could possibly raise the roller plate up just enough to relieve some pressure off the wheels while also keeping the paper in place at it spools out. Looking at the mechanism I'm wondering how much clearance there is for the print head passing over that plate to allow such a thing.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a parts source for replacing those three sets of wheel plates? Would like to play a bit.

Another thing, spurred by Paul's experience, is that perhaps the spring pressure on those wheels lightens up over time and use. Maybe running a thick blank sheet of fine art paper through the rollers over and over again could help. Overall I still think that the discussion even exists is ridiculous.

Paul Concannon wrote:

Jay, that was me over on FM. I'm still in the dark as to exactly what went on, but the problem does seem to have diminished visibly - in that I now rarely see the dreaded wheel marks. Contrary to my initial enthusiasm, I don't think the problem has gone away completely, but nowadays I only see the marks in very dark areas and only when I go hunting for it. I don't think it would be visible, even in those areas, to a more casual inspection, unless the lighting were just right (or just wrong, depending on how you look at this).

I also for various reasons switched to Harman by Hahnemumhle gloss baryta for most printing, and don't print so much on GFS any more. The H by H does seem a bit more resistant to this sort of issue than the GFS is/was.

Finally, I did explore the front feeder solution as well. I only print up to A3+, so the size limitation wasn't an issue. I had to turn the printer sideways on the desk it was on to get enough room out the back, but that was do-able. The main problem I had was that in the absence of anything holding down the paper when it's going through the printer, it was prone to ink swelling and getting scratched either on the printer head through head strikes or on one of the oddly numerous bits of sharp plastic that Epson (in their wisdom) seem to incorporate in the print path. I did briefly experiment with trying to tape down the paper onto the backing board that you have to use with the front paper path, but wasn't very successful.

No magic solutions I'm afraid.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow