Lens optics experts: does mirrorless (e.g. MFT) allow smaller actual lenses?

Started Jan 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,319Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens optics experts: does mirrorless (e.g. MFT) allow smaller actual lenses?
In reply to Anders W, Jan 27, 2012

Anders W wrote:

You are right that, in practice, the AF system would rarely adjust again at the end. At least that was true about my Pentax. However, to my standards, it should have adjusted much more frequently than it did.

Same issue for me with the Canons - though they were their consumer cameras so I doubt it was their best system. The XT/350D AF was particularly poor. The XTi/400D was an improvement. But both rarely could do a good job on shallow DoF. The 50/1.8 was a totally hit or miss proposition. The long end of my 70-200/4L would even be a bit dodgy at close focus distances. Doing mostly landscapes it usually wasn't a problem for me, but I was always disappointed in the rare cases I was doing shallow DoF work. I put split prism focus screens in both cameras to help. For shallow DoF I usually had to manually nudge to correct focus nearly half of the time.

I've really enjoyed the accuracy of the m43 CDAF system. Now that I'm starting to shoot some shallow DoF 45/1.8 shots I really appreciate being able to trust the AF system.
--
Ken W
See plan in profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow