What is up with "Senior Portraits"?

Started Nov 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?
Re: What is up with "Senior Portraits"?
In reply to CoolHandLu, Jan 26, 2012

I am an old guy, and graduated from HS in 1977 in Northern California. We did not have the senior picture frenzy back then like there is nowadays here in the MidWest U.S.

We did the "stand in line" in our cap and gown and had our senior portrait taken (in B&W by the way) for the yearbook. End of story. This was at a fairly large HS in the Sacramento, CA area.

I raised my family in Indiana, and when my first son graduated, I was hit with the "We have to take senior portraits" argument. As someone else mentioned, one studio has the contract with the school, and as far as I know, you cannot contribute outside pictures for the yearbook.

While at the session however, they of course take lots of different poses in different styles and types of dress (formal and casual), and then try to sell large packages that have always ranged in the US$700-1000 price tag for us! This was a HUGE SHOCK to me at the time, but I was told to "pay it and shut up" by my wife since this is the norm and it is "just how it is".

I have sent 3 kids through this process, and have one more to go in 2 more years. I can say that we have framed portraits on the wall from these sessions both in my house and in my ex-wife's, so I guess it is not a bad thing overall...

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow