Nikon Active D-Lighting (ADL) really is just "underexposure + tonemapping"?

Started Jan 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Nikon Active D-Lighting (ADL) really is just "underexposure + tonemapping"?
Jan 26, 2012

I know there are a ton of threads on this here and even more blog posts all over the Internet, and I've read many of them.

After my own experimentation, I am concluding ADL is simply underexposure (i.e. aiming to keep the highlights in check as opposed to normal exposure which would aim for an even balance of shadows and highlights) followed by run-of-the-mill low-intensity Tone Mapping (of the same kind which Luminance HDR, Photomatix, etc, will do if carefully tuned away from the extreme default settings).

A more surprising conclusion is really just how clueless many of the bloggers out there are. Many scratch their heads over why an ADL image is noisier or why it's less contrasty or why some people have reported halos (often while pixel-peeping), and how ADL operates at the sensor (it doesn't) and blah blah blah. Thousands of words have been written which can be replaced by two words and a symbol: underexposure + tonemapping.

I just wanted to share this "epiphany" which was several months in the making.

Agree? Disagree?

Thanks

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Apple iPhone 5s +14 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow