Started Jan 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dssxxxx
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Compact Zoom Travel Camera - Africa
Jan 26, 2012

Have been to Africa 3 times and first 2, took the Canon AE1 and all the accessories. Way to bulky and heavy.

Last trip in 2007.....took Panasonic Lumix 10x or 12x zoom (cannot remember) and took video and pictures which came out very well.

Now the question: We are going to So. Africa in April and will spend about 5 days in Kruger. Need a recommendation for another camera......seems like the only time I get a new one is when we go on vacation....:-)

Here are the camera that seem to meet the needs (after vacation it will be the camera that is used to take perhaps 100-200 total [pictures a year). Budget is less than $400 US.

Fugifilm F750EXR - new
Pentex Optio VS20 - new
Nikon S9100 (read the S8200 is better)
Sony HX9V

Any comments or additional suggestions?

Also, since I have not done any research lately, which memory card would you suggest and size (how many pictures per size card)? Batteries...will take 2 additional with a charger. Typical small case to wear on belt. Total 9 game drives and the normal camp, fireside, dinner, etc. pictures.

I will double post this in a few other sections.

Thanks for your help. These forums have helped me greatly over the years.

Fujifilm FinePix F750EXR Nikon Coolpix S9 Pentax K-r Pentax Optio VS20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow