X10: No RAW converter with full EXR support?

Started Jan 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,663
Like?
X10: No RAW converter with full EXR support?
Jan 26, 2012

Hi guys!

Today I tested on Windows: Lightroom 3, Lightroom 4 (LR) Beta, RAW Converter EX (EX), Silkypix 4, Silkypix (SP) 5 Beta, Capture One 6 (CO).

I have yet to test: RPP (OS X) and whatever other RAW converter claiming to support the X10. Also there are several things I did not find time to test yet (12 MP DR 200/400, 6 MP DR 100 OOC vs. RAW detail).

Compared to the out-of-camera JPGs none of these RAW converters fully supports proper decoding of the EXR RAW data, neither in 12 MP nor in 6 MP, especially when DR 200/400 is used!

Some general observations about X10 RAF files that I learned from this comparison, like always these are my personal observations and interpretations:

OOC JPGs are lens (distortion) corrected! Both Lightroom and Silkypix also do correction but stretch the image slightly horizontally (only), both seem to apply the same correction (needs to be tested with a grid image). Capture One does not correct images and thus not only shows considerable distortion, but also more image content at all corresponding edges. Yes that means you can see more on CO images than on OOC JPGs!

Both 12 MP and 6 MP images (DR 100-400) store all information from both sensor halves in the RAW file which then needs to be properly decoded and combined by the RAW software. This is where all tested RAW converters fail compared to OOC JPG!

Only 6 MP RAWs of 9 mb filesize already contain the combined sensor information and thus don't rely on the RAW software for decoding. With DR 200/400 the 9 mb files are already noise-reduced and offer full color saturation (see below) in all RAW converters that can open them. CO does not seem to be able to read these, it gets stuck.

It also seems like ISO based DR indeed uses only half the sensor for ISO/amplification tricks, which then has to be properly combined with the overexposed half just like EXPosure time based DR. This is still tricky to interpret, though, as loss of saturation might also come from misinterpreting only half the sensor even when both offer the same information. On the other hand DR 100 18 mb files saturate fine, could be changing binning algorithms with different DR source files, but I somewhat doubt that.

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow