Started Jan 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
michaeleclark
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Fotodiox 14-24mm Filter Holder test
Jan 25, 2012

For those of you waiting for a back-ordered Lee filter holder for the 14-24mm 2.8, you now have an option. Saw the Fotodiox filter info on NR a few days ago and went ahead and ordered it. Since it was considerably cheaper than the Lee system (especially via Amazon), I was a bit leery. But received it today and I can only say I am impressed. Bought the kit with a 145mm MC circular polarizer along with a separate 145mm 8X ND. Here is what I found:

1. The holder is BIG!

2. The system is ALL METAL with the exception of the inner retaining ring which is a heavy duty composite. I expected plastic.

3. It installs easily, and my concern that there would be interference with focusing or zooming due to compression of the built-in 14-24 lens hood was unfounded. Even when tightened down everything works normally.

4. I was concerned with vignetting given the area that needed to be covered. However, I shot several images at f2.8 with the polarizer attached and could detect no corner vignetting.

5. The filters came clean with no imperfections. Both are thin, similar to low profile filters so I'm sure that helps avoid vignetting.

6. Unlike some thin filters, they are threaded so it is possible to stack them (though vignetting likely at large apertures). But more importantly, they accept the screw-on metal lens cap that comes with the set. And given the size of the filters, I would not want to leave them unprotected for long!
7. And finally, did I say this thing is BIG?

Will see how it hold up to wear and tear in the field in coming months. But for now I am very pleased with the quality at less than 50% of the cost for the Lee system. And the Lee holder does not have a circular polarizer available.
--
Michael E. Clark

michaeleclark's gear list:michaeleclark's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow