bird photography on a budget

Started Jan 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
dave92029
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Re: Keep it simple
In reply to Bilgy_no1, Jan 25, 2012

Are we talking about Birds in Flight BIF (moving) or birds sitting on the ground or in trees?

BIF is much more challenging and requires a fast AF and good technique. Understanding and anticipating a birds flight path makes it much easier to capture a good shot, BUT a DSLR have better AF systems than do M43.

A bird in flight with a clear sky as background, especially a bird with primarily white feathers is a difficult shot for a M43 AF. You can do it, but I doubt that you will have a very high keeper rate.

M43 has a contrast AF so as long as your subject bird contrasts with the surroundings you can get a good shot.

Personally, I have not been happy with most of my attempts to shoot BIF, either with a DSLR or M43. Fast moving subjects are why folks spend the big bucks to get the professional AF/ metering systems in Pro grade camera.

Don't get me wrong you can get some good shots, but if your primary objective is to shoot BIF then I feel you need to get the pro camera and glass.

Here are two shots I took with my E-PL2 and the 40-150mm
Dave

dave92029's gear list:dave92029's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow