Test of VR 70-300mm and VR 500 f4mm

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
OleThorsen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,853Gear list
Like?
Re: 55-300 vs 70-300 Ole how do you get such sharp inages?
In reply to karlreed, Jan 25, 2012

karlreed wrote:

Hi Ole..

How do you get such sharp images as those with the dolls, and, at such hi iso?

You are a wizard, and I'd like to learn your magic..

karl, no secret sauce here

Even with the tiny DOF of the VR 500mm the V1's AF is very precise and totally spot on, and more precise than my D300, because of the sensor plane AF sensors.

The solid tripod and quality of light including the direction of light coming from both various angles above from the bounced flash and frontal a little to the side using the flash's build-in bounce card (only 10mm out) helps getting sharp detailed images. I didn't use high ISO in these pictures, only ISO200 to keep the same ISO at all tested apertures (wide open to f8).

After changing aperture I let the vibration calm down waiting 6-8s before triggering the ML-L3 remote with a 2s delay. I sit totally still on a chair until the picture is taken. The floor in my living room at 1st floor is a wood construction because of the full basement below, and at the longest focal lengths used I could see vibrations from my wife's stealth walk around in the kitchen

I don't believe my PP sharpening technique in Nikon Capture NX2 using the Picture Control's sharpening changed to a value of 1 as a kind of RAW pre sharpening, and then as last step a combined USM and High Pass sharpening is much different than the sharpening used in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Regards
Ole Thorsen
http://www.pbase.com/ole_thorsen

OMNISCIENCE
Knowing what
thou knowest not
is in a sense
omniscience.
(Grook by Piet Hein)

OleThorsen's gear list:OleThorsen's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow