Started Jan 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899
Like?
Think before you buy NEX7
Jan 25, 2012

Ok I am going to get hammered on here for this but I thought I would be honest and share my experience!!

I have had many cameras and do the odd bit of paid work, but mainly as a hobby.

I couldn't wait for the NEX7, in fact I drove several hours to pick it up last month.

However after using it for a couple of weeks with the 16mm and kit lens, I felt the images were not as good as with my Canon 5D MK11.

It's simple really, the lens selection is still gathering pace and (if you want quality fast lenses) then you will need to wait. If however you don't need these or fast long telephoto's then it's a great camera.

I have since sold the NEX7 and bought A77.

I got carried away with the excitement of the NEX 7 but once you have one and then look at lens options you "may" find it a little limited.

This is what DP Review said

Sony's native E-mount lens range consists mainly of relatively inexpensive, small maximum aperture lenses arguably more suited to the 'compact camera upgrader' market targeted by the cheaper models in the NEX range. Only the Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA really matches the NEX-7's lofty ambitions, but with a price tag to match; it costs almost as much as the camera.

Aside from the 24mm the options are limited - indeed the kind of enthusiast photographer likely to be interested in the NEX-7 might well find them limiting. There are three zooms - the kit E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS, the 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS telezoom, and the large and expensive video-optimised E 18-200mm F3.6-6.3 OSS superzoom. The widest option available is the tiny E 16mm F2.8 pancake, which is a useful little lens but slightly compromised optically. Meanwhile the E 30mm F3.5 Macro sits in no-man's land, being awkwardly short for a macro and too slow for an everyday walkaround 'normal'.

Arguably the most interesting option is the upcoming E 50mm F1.8 OSS, which has the distinction of being the largest-aperture optically-stabilised lens on the market. But even then we think it's shorter-than-ideal for its stated purpose as a 'portrait' lens. However fast 50mm lenses undeniably sell well for use on APS-C cameras, so maybe that's just us.

The problem with this lens set isn't necessarily image quality (although the 18-55mm kit zoom gives visibly soft results towards the edge of the frame) so much as creative potential. Without such options as a wideangle zoom or a fast 'normal' prime, the sad fact is that your ability to play with unusual perspectives or shallow depth of field is limited compared to other systems. The size of the lenses means also that, unlike Samsung NX or Micro Four Thirds, you can't walk around with a couple of pancake primes in your pocket.

Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow