Started Jan 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Max Archer
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Another tripod advice thread.
Jan 25, 2012

I've been talking with people on some other sites, but just wanted to get the largest pool of advice before I pull the trigger.

I've been needing a good, solid tripod for a while. I'm not a backpacker or anything, so it doesn't need to be the smallest, lightest imaginable, but I'd still like something that's easy to carry while being adequate for my gear. The largest setup I'll be using on the tripod is a D3s with a 70-200 2.8. I want it to easily support that setup, but admittedly it will be used with a 24-70 or 20mm 2.8 much more often than with the 70-200.

My budget is around $700.

Now, Thom's tripod article seems to recommend a Gitzo 3-series for a pro body with 70-200, but everybody else has been telling me that a 2-series is fine. I can't afford a Gitzo, so I'm looking at a Feisol. I think the CT3342 seems like the best compromise of weight, size, and price for my usage. I'm leaning towards saving the $100 by not getting the anti-rotation legs.

As for a head, I've looked at various options, and the one that stands out as possibly good for my needs is the RRS BH-40. One thing I should mention about heads is that I want one that will be able to handle tilting to shoot vertical shots, as I don't want to be forced to buy an L-bracket yet, and I'd rather not have to keep one on the camera anyway.

So the CT3442 with the RRS BH-40 is my current plan. Does anybody have any commentary or any reasons this isn't a good idea?

Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow