Landscapes with the WATE on the NEX7

Started Jan 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465Gear list
Like?
Re: 6-bit coding and lens selection in menu?
In reply to Steven-T, Jan 25, 2012

Steven-T wrote:

With a 6-bit coded WATE, when we set "Auto" lens selection, the "info" always shows 16-18-21/4. When we use "manual" lens selection, you have to select one of 16-18-21@16, or @18, or @21, and the info will show the selected value.

I have a non-6-bit coded MATE. It seems the auto/manual lens selection behaves the same. It's a bit cumbersome to keep on changing the manual lens selection as we "zoom". So I intend to take the bite, and send the lens for coding. Comments?

Jono Slack wrote:

Jono Slack
http://www.slack.co.uk

I have the 6-bit encoded WATE. With the Lens Detection function on the M9 set to "Auto" the EXIF info will always show 16mm. There is no way for the camera to know what focal length setting you have made on the lens. Without lens electronics and mount contacts such as on a DSLR, there is no way to convey this information to the camera. The indicated aperture setting in the EXIF is just a calculated value, not exact.

Manual setting would be a pain, especially if you are in a rapidly changing environment. The focal length info doesn't bother me at all. While traveling in India two years ago, this was the lens on my M9 most of the time.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow